Ghee Roasted Vegetables
- Vegetables (carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, and so on)
- 2 tbsp Khaas Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (to taste)
- Season with salt to taste
- To taste, freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- Prepare the Vegetables:
- Wash the veggies and chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- If using root vegetables, such as carrots and potatoes, parboil them for a few minutes in salted water until soft. Set aside after draining.
- Heat the Desi Ghee:
- Heat the desi ghee in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat until it melts and becomes aromatic.
- Add the Spices:
- Add the cumin seeds to the heated ghee and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Combine the turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly to mix the spices and ghee.
- Roast the Vegetables:
- Toss the prepped veggies in the spicy ghee mixture until they are well covered.
- Spread the veggies out in a single layer to allow them to cook evenly.
- Cook the Vegetables:
- Cook the veggies, covered, over medium-low heat for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until tender. To prevent sticking and ensure even cooking, stir occasionally.
- Cook for a shorter time if you desire a crisper texture. Cook for a little longer if you want softer veggies.
- Garnish and Serve:
- When the veggies are cooked to your liking, remove the cover and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Sauté the veggies for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until they have developed a mild caramelized color.
- To add freshness and flavor, sprinkle chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) over the roasted veggies.
- Remove the ghee-roasted veggies to a serving dish and set aside.
- Serve the ghee-roasted veggies as a side dish with your favorite main meal or as a stand-alone dish.
- These delicious veggies go nicely with rice, roti, or as a healthful snack on its own.
Note: Adjust the spices and seasoning to suit your taste. You may also experiment with various veggies or add extra herbs and spices to make your own ghee-roasted vegetable variety.
Enjoy the rich scent and flavor of desi ghee as it complements the flavors of the roasted veggies. This recipe not only delivers nutritious and tasty food, but it also highlights the versatility and goodness of desi ghee in your culinary creations.